Saturday, September 29, 2012

Grocery Store Magazines


My IQ can be high
            but that number on the scale better be low.

I find it interesting that smart women will stop everything they are doing  if they see the headline on a magazine promising a 10lb weight loss in a week.

I am an intelligent woman.
I had a 4.0 GPA in Graduate School.
I have a job that requires me to use my brain all day long.
I am the mother of two wonderful children.
I teach yoga in my down-time.
I am training for an 8K run.

I came to a screeching halt yesterday while waiting in line at the grocery store.

I was in a hurry.
The person in front of me was taking too long.
I was tapping my foot – I needed to hurry home.
            Then I saw it on one of those grocery store magazines, “eat this food to help you lose belly fat – 3x faster”.

My rational mind immediately said, “if there was a magical food to help you lose belly fat – all the major television networks would be reporting it”.

The irrational part of my mind said, “but maybe it will work, maybe it is a less expensive option so the diet industry doesn’t want those of us with belly fat to know”!

The rational part of my mind said, “ don’t do it”.
Of course, I told her to shut-up.
I grabbed the magazine and pretended to search for the recipe to the delicious chocolate cake featured opposite the diet article.

Where is the article?
            The person in front of me decided to hurry up now.
            I wish they would slow down, what’s the rush anyway.
            Life is too short to be in such a hurry.

Eureka! There it is, the article that will give me the secret to less belly fat.
I frantically search the article for that magical food – I don’t have much time.
The person in front of me is gone and the cashier is asking for my value savings card.

There it is –
            my answer —
                        what I was searching for –
Flaxseed.

Well, that is a load of crap!
I’ve already tried flaxseed and it didn’t work.

Humph! I guess I will have to go back to eating right and exercising.

No comments:

Post a Comment